I am not the most serious of people, however, I can be quite…sombre sometimes. I tend to get a little lost in the lanes and byways of my mind and end up picking apart situations, and opportunities into a million little pieces. I get caught in a web of my own thinking and spiral down more rabbit holes than Alice ever did. When these times come, and come along they always will, I need to remember one thing: to go out and play!
No better cure exists for serious grown up thoughts, and self examination, than a good old childish play. Sometimes I need to just listen to my eight year old self and leave worries behind. Romp, race, rejoice in the moment, and revel in the sheer pleasure of being alive and in the world.
Today, when I was lost in some thoughts that I needed to leave alone for a little while, I popped my iPod in my ears, slipped my feet into my runners and took off for a walk. When I happened across a pile of leaves on my path I remembered what I needed to do in order to forget my troubles and, wait for it, come on and get happy!
I needed to kick up the leaves. I needed to pick up big handfuls and toss them in the air and let them rain down on me in their brilliant winter kaleidoscope. I just needed to play. When I got back home I decided to write myself a list of all the childish things I can do when I feel the need to cheer myself up.
Then I decided to share it with you just in case you need to remember to play, here are some of the things that make me revert back to eight year old Amy.
- Piles of leaves (well, obviously) – just ready to throw into the air
- Wearing flowers in my hair
- Dancing in thunderstorms – living in the semi-tropics is great in summer
- Singing along to every Disney movie ever made
- Freckle lollies (you have to sandwich them together though)
- Playing Twister
- Running in and out of the waves at the beach
- Cartoons on a Saturday morning (oh, how I am glad we don’t have pay TV in our house)
- Walking barefoot through the grass on a warm spring afternoon
- Playing dress-ups (in my own wardrobe now)
- Face paints (this one is for special occasions only…)